Friday, April 21, 2006

The Talisman

by Stephen King and Peter Straub (read Mar 2006)
Well, I did it! I read a Stephen King novel and I think I probably won't read another. The Talisman was weird, lengthy, and graphic. That said, it was also an interesting story about 12-year-old Jack Sawyer's quest in this and a parallel world, the "Territories," to acquire a mystical talisman that will save the life of his dying mother and her "twinner," the Queen of the Territories. Jack "flips" back and forth between worlds during his journey, finding his way through and past representatives of good and evil in both.

Jack's journey reminds me of something Lois Lowry said about fiction. (Now that's an interesting link: Lois Lowry and Stephen King!) Anyway she said most fiction tells the story of a journey taken by the main character who makes a major discovery about himself and, in the end, returns home as a changed individual. The journey may or may not be physical, it may be an emotional or spiritual journey. Jack's journey was all three. I especially liked Wolf and Richard the Rational, both friends who helped Jack acheive his goal.

This book will not be going on my recommendations list, not because it didn't have a good plot, but because it was a bit crude at times contains filthy language, both of which I expected. This one MAY contain a little less of that stuff that King's other books.

I really like this qoute that King takes from Dr. Seuss: "Our troubles are going to have troubles with us." It makes me feel like when I say it I'm going to punch, push and kick my troubles right out of my way. It's not a feeling I often have, but I really like it. Maybe if I made this my daily mantra it would instill that fighting spirit I need some days just to get out of bed!